Sunday, January 16, 2011

The sea, the sea

Sanctuary
 Last week I went for a trip down to one of this island's most picturesque towns, Garachico. It used to be a big bustling port until lava blocked the harbour and destroyed part of the place back in the seventeenth century. Lots of lovely big traditional mansions, churches and old convents criss-crossed by cobbled streets and alleys.

But for me it is the craggy dark Garachico rock, battered by the elements (and there are an awful lot of elements in this part of the north coast) for thousands of years, home to seabirds and the offshore guardian of the town, that is the star of the show.

Unfortunately on the way I had realised I was sketchbookless. As it was a Sunday and I had to resort to searching a little souvenir shop-cum-mini-market for a notebook and eat my words (further down the blogroll) regarding paper with gridlines on it. Vile stuff.


I think my general distaste for the material I had to work with comes across in this hasty sketch I did as the rain started to sweep in and which formed the basis for the painting I did the next day.

That'll learn me, as they say.

2 comments:

  1. Can feel the rain splashing Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, bit of artistic licence there. It was a really sunny day until we stopped on the way home to draw the rock and a slight shower rolled in.
    Understatement was never my strong point.
    PS The calamares at Rest. Los Pinos are ace!

    ReplyDelete